Once a quarter, we will be addressing questions, issues, and concerns that agencies need to know in order to stay compliant with Medicare’s constantly changing rules and regulations. We will be discussing CoPs, ICD-Coding, and OASIS, and how to improve the knowledge of your staff in these three areas.
Michael Tidd has over 19 years of experience in the Home Care Industry and is a frequent speaker at HealthCare Synergy Workshops and Webinars. He is a Software Developer, LVN and Certified in ICD-9/10 Coding and OASIS (COS-C, HCS-D). As the Clinical Manager for HealthCare Synergy, he directs the Outsourced Management Services, assists in directing the development of the Synergy EMR, oversees the Clinical Documentation Auditing provided to clients and directs the Clinical Form Development for the Healthcare Assistant Web Edition. Michael continues to educate agencies in the ongoing regulations that CMS produces, the proper application of the Medicare Conditions of Participation and completing timely, accurate and defendable clinical documentation to survive in the current Medicare Reimbursement Model.
- Verbalize changes in CoP and how agencies can comply with these to be prepared for surveys.
- Improve understanding of what CMS expects in agency operation and adherence to regulations.
- Describe how to properly assess and code the OASIS assessment questions.
- Learn and be prepared to teach CMS OASIS guidance and conventions along with item intent, response specific instructions.
- Demonstrate proper selection and sequencing of diagnosis coding upon review of F2F, H&P and OASIS assessment.
- Understand the difference between etiology, manifestation, symptom codes.
- Verbalize the differences of an unspecified and specific diagnosis codes as well as the ramifications on agency payment both under PPS and PDGM.