Los Angeles County – California
Visiting Nurses administer skilled nursing care to patients on an intermittent basis in their place of residence. This is performed in accordance with physician orders and plan of care under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse. Services are furnished in accordance with Agency policies.
Supervised by: Director of Clinical Services/ Nurse Supervisor/ RNs
- Understands and adheres to established policies and procedures.
- Implements the nursing care plan for each patient.
- Provides nursing services, treatments and diagnostic and preventive procedures as assigned.
- Initiates preventive and rehabilitative nursing procedures as appropriate.
- Observes signs and symptoms and reports to the physician and RN reactions to treatments, including drugs and changes in the patient’s physical or emotional condition.
- Teaches and counsels the patient and family / significant others regarding the nursing care needs and other related problems of the patient at home.
- Evaluates with registered nurse the effectiveness of the LPN’s nursing service to the patient and family under the guidance of the registered nurse.
- Maintains accurate and complete records of observations, treatments and care of patient.
- Participates in medical record audit as assigned.
- Attends staff meetings, patient care conferences and inservices as scheduled.
- Takes on-call duty, nights, weekends and holidays as assigned.
- Is responsible for: (1) Submitting any changes in schedule to Director of Clinical Services / Nursing Supervisor on a daily basis, and (2) Participating in patient care conferences to discuss the need for involvement of other members of the health team, such as physical therapist or speech language pathologist.
- Prepares clinical and progress notes.
- Assists the physician and RN in performing specialized procedures.
- Prepares equipment and materials for treatments.
- Observes aseptic technique as required.
- Assists the patient in learning appropriate self-care techniques.
- Graduate of a state approved school of practical (vocational) nursing and currently licensed in the state(s) in which practicing.
- Minimum of one (l) year experience in nursing, preferred.
- Acceptance of philosophy and goals of Agencies.
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment.
Works indoors in Agency office and patient homes and travels to / from patient homes.
Ability to perform the following tasks if necessary:
- Ability to participate in physical activity.
- Ability to work for extended period of time while standing and being involved in physical activity.
- Heavy lifting.
- Ability to do extensive bending, lifting and standing on a regular basis.
Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN)/Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)